Skin cancer my form once the immune system failing or not functioning properly. The immunotherapy is focused to enhance and repair the human body’s immune responses. Nowadays the technique such as interferon is use with or without other common cancer treatment techniques such as chemotherapy, surgery and radiotherapy.
The aim of immunotherapy treatment for skin cancer:
- Avoided skin cancer cells from metastasized to other organs.
- Make cancer cells more susceptible to destruction by body’s immune system.
- Stop, suppress or control the processes that allow cancer growth.
- Advance the protecting power of body’s natural immune system cells
- Enhance the body’s ability to destroyed by other forms of cancer treatment, such as chemotherapy or radiation and to replace normal cells damaged
- Reverse or block the process that changes a pre-cancerous cell into a cancerous cell
Drug in immunotherapy treatment for skin cancer
Aldara induces the formation of interferon in the skin. This is the first of a class of drugs called immune modulators. This drug Interferon has antiviral, anti-tumor, and anti-proliferative activities. Aldara has been used for years to treat skin cancer.
Experts have developed several types of immunotherapy to treat skin cancer. These therapies are classified as “passive” when substances that the body produces are synthetically created in a laboratory and “active” when they stimulate the patient’s own immune system to fight the cancer.
Immunotherapy treatment for skin cancer can be directly applied to the skin or systemic by injection, infusion, or taken pill.